People love to have low-maintenance plants at homes that thrive well in your home atmosphere. The peace lily is one such plant that is kept at home due to its beautiful white flowers that bloom in the spring and its glossy dark green leaves. Apart from being a showy plant, several peace lily benefits also attract the people to keep one at their homes. The peace lily is a kind of houseplant that never disappoints you but protects you and uplifts your interiors.
Spathiphyllum plant commonly known as the peace lily belongs to the Araceae family and is native to the areas of Central America, and Asia. Mostly they are served as floor plants as they can reach up to a height of 3 feet tall and grow quite wide. There are several types of peace lily plants that come in various sizes. A well-grown peace lily may bloom twice a year which means you can witness peace lily flowers for several months in a year.
They grow at a moderate speed in their favorable conditions. If you want to sweep away all the peace lily benefits, you need to focus on peace lily care and put them under partial shade, in well-drained soil and water them when the upper layer of soil feels dry. However, they are toxic to pets and humans, so keep them in a place far from the reach of children and pets.
Benefits of Peace Lily Plant
- Purifies the air: Air pollution is one of the biggest concerns for human beings for a very long time. We all need a plant like peace lily at home that not only looks astonishing but purifies the air that you breathe. According to research conducted by NASA, approximately 60 percent of the harmful pollutants like benzene, ammonia, trichloroethylene, xylene, and formaldehyde are eliminated by peace lily. Besides that, the plant promotes good breathing by increasing humidity in your surroundings.
- Prevents mildew formation: The high moisture or dampness in bathrooms, kitchens, and washrooms makes it a friendly environment for the formation of mildew. Mostly you will see them on the tiles and bathroom curtains. As you know that peace lily loves to be in a humid place where it thrives, it will certainly absorb humidity from the place. Eventually with excess moisture being absorbed by the plant will slowly reduce the amount of mildew in that area and your plant will grow in that atmosphere.
- Removes mold spores: The mold spores in the air cause many problems to humans like eye irritation, skin irritation, coughing, sneezing, and throat irritation. Moreover, people who have issues like asthma, chronic lung disease face severe reactions in their bodies due to mold spores in the air. The amount of excess moisture in the air promotes the growth of mold spores. Keeping a peace lily where you mostly spend your time will keep the excess moisture away as the plant absorbs it. Thus, you will be safe and slowly the mold spores will be reduced.
- Absorbs Acetone vapors: Your indoor air is not only disturbed or polluted by the air from outside. There are several other products that you use at your home that emit gases and vapor that pollute the air. Luckily, the peace lily plant can help you in eliminating those harmful gases and vapors. Products like paints, nail polish remover, varnishes, and rubbing alcohol contain acetone and alcohol which is harmful to human health. These chemicals may create issues like headaches, lack of coordination, low blood pressure, and acetone poisoning. But keeping a peace lily gives protection over these gases and vapors.
- Low maintenance: Now the people have realized that keeping plants in their homes not only makes the interior beautiful but promotes good health as well. A peace lily is a perfect option for people who want to make some addition to their home decor while leveraging some benefits out of it. Also as we know that people have less knowledge about gardening and people are busy with their work every day. So, peace lily being a low-maintenance plant is perfect for such people as it can thrive even if it is under watered.
- Promotes Good Sound Sleep: The peace lily is a perfect choice for bedrooms for many reasons. The peace lily is good at purifying the air and it eliminates the toxins which make it healthy to breathe. The peace lily removes the dry air and promotes humidity which also relieves your irritated throat and nose. Moreover, the plant reduces the stress of your mind and relaxes your mind and body. All these things contribute towards having a sound sleep at night.
- Perfect for Home Decor: Peace lily is a very good inclusion to your home decor as its beautiful glossy leaves and attractive white flowers definitely add more charm to the room. They have an appealing look which is also very sophisticated. Majorly all the peace lily varieties look absolutely gorgeous and you can use them as your home decor. It looks good when placed on the table and shelves in the corners.
- Promotes Peace and Good Fortune: This is another one of the best peace lily benefits that it is considered as a plant that promotes hope, purity, peace, and prosperity. As per feng shui properties, the peace lily brings calmness and positive vibes to the surroundings. Apart from being an exceptional ornament plant, the peace lily is meant to bring good fortune for the users.
Read more: Complete Guide of Lucky plants for Home, Business, Office and more
To sum up, all we can say is that peace lily is a very good plant that could be good in several ways for you. The plant is very easy to care for and you just need to take care of peace lily light, soil, water, and humidity requirements. Even though, if you wish to have more peace lilies at your home, you can follow the peace lily propagation steps and make more plants without even buying them. All the above reasons might excite you and maybe you will also want to keep one peace lily at your home or office.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: How long can a peace lily survive without water?
Usually, the peace lily needs watering in 5-7 days approximately but it can survive being underwater till 10-12 days.
Q2: What is the average lifespan of peace lilies?
Peace lilies can enjoy an average lifespan of three to five years.
Q3: What are the most common problems with peace lilies?
Peace lily majorly encounters problems like drooping, yellow leaves, brown tips, brown leaves, and pest issues.