Spider plants can be considered as one of the most popular indoor plant varieties that you can find out there in the world. If you are looking forward to getting indoor houseplants you are strongly encouraged to take a look at Spider Plants. This guide will assist you to get all the information that you need about growing bonnie Spider Plant at the comfort of your home.
How to grow Spider Plants?
In order to grow spider plants, you will need to get your hands on spider plant babies. These plants are relatively easy to grow. During the winter season, you should grow these plants indoors. However, you can take them out during the summer season. It is better if you can pick a shady location to grow these plants.
- Sunlight Requirements: Spider plants require indirect sunlight, similar to all other indoor houseplants. When you provide too much sunlight, you will be able to detect unattractive brown colored spots in the plants. Therefore, you need to think about finding a patio space or window, which provides indirect sunlight to the house plants. You just need to provide around 4 hours of indirect sunlight per day for these plants to grow.
- Watering the Spider Plant: Spider plants that you grow at home would require consistent moisture. Hence, you should think about providing it. In the meantime, you should also make sure not to overwater the indoor plants. A soil moisture gauge has the ability to help you with providing the right amount of water for your spider plants at all times.
- Soil Requirements for Spider Plant: You don’t need to worry too much when picking the right type of soil for the spider plants. In fact, you don’t need to provide a special soil for these plants to grow. However, it is important for you to provide excellent drainage for indoor house plants to grow. That’s because the roots of spider plants don’t prefer to remain wet for a long period of time. This is the main reason why you should think about getting your hands on a high-quality potting mix.
Propagation of Spider Plant:
Propagation of Indoor spider plant is an easy thing to do as well. You will be able to enjoy the overall process. You will also notice that there are multiple methods available for you to go ahead with propagating the spider plants. Out of those methods, removing babies is the most common method. Then you will be able to root the babies and go ahead with propagation.
What are the benefits of Spider Plant?
You will be able to receive a large number of spider plant benefits. Here is a list of some of the most prominent benefits out of them.
- Purify the Indoor Air: If you are searching for a natural and convenient method to purify indoor air, you will be able to go ahead and purchase spider plant. This can provide you with the chance to enjoy fresh air in your home at all times. Spider plants’ air-purifying benefits have tempted people to think about getting indoor house plants to their homes and offices.
- Enhance the beauty of your Home: When you get spider plants inside your home, you will find it an easy task to increase natural beauty. In fact, these plants are in a position to offer much-needed greenery into your living spaces and enhance beauty. This is another great reason available for you to fall in love with the spider plants.
Hanging Spider Plants:
The leaves of spider plants are hanging downwards. Due to the same reason, you can think about growing them in the overhanging baskets. Then you will be able to experience all the benefits that come along with them as well.
Spider Plant Varieties:
You will be able to discover many different varieties of spider plants out there. Here are some of the most popular varieties out of them.
- Bonnie Curly Spider Plant: The bonnie spider plant has got curly leaves. It looks similar to a bunch of flowers. Due to the same reason, people tend to call it the ribbon plant.
- Chlorophytum Laxum Zebra: This is the variegated variety of spider plants. You will notice that the stripe color at the edge in these plants looks more yellowish when compared to white.
- Chlorophytum Comosum Variegated: These spider plants come along with white-colored stripes along with the leaves.
- Chlorophytum Comosum Green: This spider plant variety is native to the Southern Pacific and Southern African regions. They are in a position to deliver a bright green color with the leaves.
How fast do spider plants grow?
The growth of spider plants is characterized by the external environment. In fact, external factors such as water, sunlight, and fertilization are in a position to create a strong impact on the growth of plants. If you can provide ideal environmental conditions, you will be able to grow them up to 60cm in length.
Are spider plants harmful to cats?
Spider plants are non-toxic. Hence, they are not in a position to create a negative impact on your health or the health of cats that you have at home. Even if the cat chews leaves of the spider plants, you will not be able to find any health issues. However, you might notice your cat vomiting after excessive consumption of the spider plant leaves. If your cat loves to eat these leaves, you are encouraged to introduce a physical barrier in between.
Why my spider plant is dying, reason?
If you place your spider plants under direct sunlight, there is a high possibility for them to die. Therefore, you should place them in an area where they can get indirect sunlight. On the other hand, you should also make sure that you are not providing excess water.